Tuesday, June 10, 2014

It's my first week in Australia

6.9.14

HI MOM AND DAD and family and whoever!
Fav scripture Joshua 1:9
So its my first week in Australia. We had quite the time getting here
and it was so crazy. I was on the plane with Sister Bennett and Elder
Lan from China speaking Mandarin. He taught us some Chinese and we
almost missed our LA flight but it was fun! We left LA at 11:30 pm on
the 2nd of June and arrived in Melbourne at 8:30 am on the 4th of
June. It was a 15 hour flight but flew by. I had the medicine and it
made me pass out for a good 8 hours.
We met president and Sister Maxwell at the airport! It was nice to see
familiar faces even if it was just from a picture and also the APs
Elder Wetzel from Australia and Elder Guy who is from England 
and it was great. We left and went to the mission office and
started figuring everything out. President told us at the airport that
one of us might be headed to Tasmania that same day. WHO WOULD HAVE
GUESSED IT WOULD BE ME. haha So we went and I came to find my pressies
(presents) from mom and the sweet lady that lives here in Australia. It was so
nice. I felt really overwhelmed and scared I guess you could say. I
was great in the MTC and I felt that all of the stress and worry and
everything else kinda hit me when we landed in Australia. It was cold
and humid and I didn't feel right it was the weirdest thing but we
met a lot of nice people and that made it better.
We then went to the mission home and when we got there President
pulled me aside and told me he wanted me to be the lucky one that gets
to go down to Tas. I was kinda shocked because I honeslty never even
thought I would end up here so I just said yes I mean I can't say no.
We went in to eat and I just wanted to cry, I cant explain why I don't
really know. I was just so tired and overwhelmed and didn't want to
fly out so soon (in just 2 hours from then). Idk it was just weird.
Then I went to the office to get all my stuff packed. and they told me
I could only take 40 kilo which is like 88 lbs worth of stuff with me
and that made it worse. I couldn't take my bedding I just got and I
had to leave half my clothes on the main land. It was just stressful!
President asked if I was okay and he could tell I wasn't and just
decided to rebook the flight for the next day and I had never felt so
relieved! I was so glad he did that.
So I stayed at the mission home and it was great. I stayed with Sister
Epa who is on a mission to the office. She was so cute!
We got up and Sister and Pres Maxwell and Sister Epa drove me to the
airport an hour away. we waited and got everything good to go and I
flew out to Tasmania! Wow it is so beautiful. I am so happy I was
lucky enough to be sent here. There are so many missionaries that
don't even get to come down here their whole mission. I'm so glad I was
one of the lucky ones.
I'm in Deloraine which is the smallest little town. It is good because
it reminds me of home. I love it. All the people are so friendly and
the ward is great. Tiny but great. I love it! I have so many pictures
to send hopefully they will work.
Sister Baker is my trainer from Kaysville UT. She is really cool and
I've learned a lot from her. We get along well and still have fun! We
have to teach early morning seminary ever morning at 6;30 so we wake up
at 5:45. Bet ya can't believe I wake up that early huh? haha It's true I
really do and I love it! It's not so bad. I get to watch the sun rise
every morning and teach kids about the gospel at 6:30am.
Well the first day was good we met some of the ward and everything but
the second day was even better! First full day of missionary work in
the field. It was so good. I saw a wallabee! Which is just a small
version of a kangaroo. It was so cute I wanted to play with it but
those are everywhere, they are like deer or rabbits just on the road
all the time hah its so cool. 
So we went tracting that day and the first door we knocked on of my
first time tracting this lady was a witch, a literal witch and I'm pretty
sure she cast a spell on us before she left. ahhaaha it was so funny.
That night there was a pamper night for relief society it was great. I
met so many of the ladies and they are all so cool. They are all
either really young or old so its great. My favorite is Emily
Gilligan she is hilarious. she brought her friend from South Africa
named Lel. she is so pretty and not a member we want to teach her!
Hope we will be able to.
K you asked if I've learned any new words yes. I honestly have filled
up 3 pages of a journal with new phrases and words. hahaha
Tassie
jumper= hoodie
rubbish bin= trash can
lift=elevator
footpath=sidewalk
bonnet=hood
pram=stroller
chips=fries
trackies=sweatpants
and like 5,000 more haha its like learning a new language down here I
love it. Their accents are great I can't get enough. It's become so
normal to hear them its weird hearing American accent.
So the weather here is winter! It's so cold and I don't know how I feel
about it. I do need a bigger jacket but I'll find one somewhere I
guess. Target isn't the same here at all and Walmart is like Kmart, so
no bueno. But I'll find something. I did find a straightener but I don't really use
it. I let my hair air dry straight most of the time and its okay.
but ya the weather is the worse when we are out tracting or in the
morning when we exercise before the sun comes up its freezing.
Oh ok so we're teaching a lady named Sarah. Sarah is kinda crazy. She
has mental health issues and so its kinda hard but shes got a
baptismal date so we'll see what happens. Sorry it was all over the
place this time I just have too much to write and not enough time. and
its been 2 weeks. and its freezing in the computer lab so my hands are
cold and not working and here are some pictures. I'll share more
miracles and things next week I promise!! The mission is the best
hing ever and I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. Love you all
so much and miss you like crazy. Sending lots of love from beautiful
Tassie

Love Sister Chelsea Hatch


Our last temple walk in beautiful Provo with the pretty pink roses
and Sister Bennett.
Deloraine Tasmasnia is the most beautiful place on the planet.
On the massive two story airplane that is filled with Aussies and Americans headed down unda
Hello to the "goldens" Sister Hatch, Sister Bennett and Elder Lan
My first time in a car in Australia the steeing wheel on the right
side it was so weird! I've gotten used to driving on the wrong side now
watch out when I come home America and this is ELDER GUY from England our AP
missionary official
TASMANIA FROM AN AIRPLANE so beautiful right?
This is the first picture with my lovely comp Sister Baker!
 I am finally wearing something different I have so many pictures in that one outfit
And this is our flat! (apartment) it is so so so so so nice,
we are so lucky to have it. it is normally a senior couple flat
This is a meat pie. Kinda similar to a pot pie but better and
Australians eat it like crazy with tomato sauce, there is not such
thing as ketchup here.
For Pday we went with our district to Liffey Falls. It was SO
BEAUTIFUL. We had to hike through this dense rain forest to get to it and
luckily we didn't see any scary animals or spiders

We went to a honey farm and I thought of papa when I saw the
honeycomb! There is a bees nest with bees in it next to me look
hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment